Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Effective first aid remedies for pregnant women and breastfeeding moms

 Taking medicine is always an issue to any pregnant woman and breastfeeding mom like me, so I want to share my own experience to anyone out there to be of help on common problems such as headache, migraine, indigestion and other stomach troubles, etc.  during these crucial stages of womanhood.
Migraine and headache
Medically speaking, migraine has no permanent cure so far, only pain reliever. I've been suffering from t since I was in college especially during exams, busy days and sleepless nights. Last night, I had a terrible migraine spell. It’s probably due to my stress with my adjustment having just gone back to work after giving birth or eating my lunch late at work (or the combination). I called my dear Ate Luchie for some advice as she’s an expert about first aid remedies be it about baby care, motherhood or giving birth issues. Like me, she has migraine spells often especially if stressed. I remembered that a few days after I gave birth I had a very painful migraine spell at midnight and I was lucky to have her at home so she advised me to apply Siang Pure Oil on the affected area so I asked my loving husband to do it for me. The oil’s soothing effect blended with his gentle massage drove the pain away in just a few minutes. So I did the same thing last night.
As much as possible, I have to avoid taking internal medicines especially that I'm breastfeeding so I can't take just any internal medicine. This external alternative  is more effective than those prescribed by doctors. It can be purchased over the counter everywhere in Thailand such as 7-11 at only 20 baht. It's also available in Chinese drugstores around the world. It's actually a panacea - it heals dizziness, insect bites, stomachache, sprain, etc. - so I always have it in my bag wherever I go.
    Indigestion, gas pain, food poisoning and stomachache                              
Since I was pregnant with my baby last year, I've been extra careful with my food intake as I have gastritis. Very often I suffer indigestion and gas pain and sometimes from food poisoning. Being pregnant then and now that I'm breastfeeding, I've been seeing to it not to take any medicine even if the doctor tells me it's safe. I always believe that it's best for a pregnant woman or a breastfeeding mom to avoid taking in drugs.Besides, any drug can have a bad effect to our kidneys. So whenever I have indigestion, gas pain or stomachache, due to food poisoning  I just boil my  mulberry tea (not the processed) for 2 minutes then drink it. After 5 or 10 minutes, the pain is gone. Unlike coffee which contains caffeine which is bad for my insomnia, the dried mulberry leaves I take help me sleep easily as well. I buy it from a vegetarian shop around or  OTOP shops for only 35 baht per pack and it lasts about  2 or 3 months depending on how often I use it. It's also known for its antioxidant and  teeth-strengthening properties so it's good for both you and your baby.  And mind you, my gastritis as well as my sister-in-law's palpitation is gone after taking this tea for just a few months.If  it's not available elsewhere, ask from herbal shops or better yet, look for a mulberry tree and simply dry its leaves for your tea. Or leave a comment here if you need some help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to stop by my blog and for sharing your thoughts:)